Tuesday, March 18, 2014

18th Birthday Card for my Son

Hello my bloggie friends.  My little boy turned into a man in the blink of an eye!  Although I'm very proud of the young man he's become, I miss my little boy so much!
I had these grand ideas of making a birthday card for him that would be really special for his 18th birthday.  It was going to involve the picture of a beer mug, a car and the house key.  But then I thought, that living in the US, none of these things apply to an 18th birthday. He's had his driver's license for two years, has had the house key for just as long and he won't be able to drink till the age of 21.  Well, I don't have to tell you that I was totally out of mojo to make his card.  My mind got stuck on that idea and it just would not shift.  Then I remembered a card that I had seen online a while back - it was a Valentine card and unfortunately I have no recollection of where I saw it, so I cannot give credit to the person concerned, but this is what I came up with for my son's 18th birthday using the other card for inspiration ...

 
This is the jet fighter from the Need for Speed stamp set from StampinUp.  The cardstocks are all from my scraps drawer.  The clouds were embossed one by one using the Cloudy Sky embossing folder from Darice.  I made the number 18 with my finger dipped into StazOn Opaque Cotton White ink.  I also rubbed a little of the ink onto each cloud to make it stand out more. Finished it off with a little piece of twine, some card candi and a little flying banner.  I coloured the jet with Bic markers.
 
 
For the inside I stamped the jet again (stamped off once) and printed the sentiment.
 
That was it!  Altogether, once I got the idea, it was a pretty simple card to make.  Of course I had a few trial runs at making the number 18 to look like it was sky written, but it went a lot easier than I thought.  I love it when that happens :-)
 
Till next time,
Happy Crafting
 
Lena
~*~
 

7 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic birthday card for you son! Love how you created the number 18.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lena - what an incredible card! Beautifully done, my friend! Thanks for sharing, and a belated Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant card Lena I love the plane and the way you have done the 18
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, what an AWESOME card!!! I live everything about it . . . from the embossed clouds to the coloring of the jet to the "18" looking like real songwriting. All of it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! My daughter turns 18 at the end of May and this card gives me so much inspiration . . . now to find a time to get it made without her seeing it. lol Again, AMAZING card!!! Thanks for sharing and for th inspiration, sweetie!!!

    Hugs,
    Kathy
    UpintheNightwithKat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow super cool.
    I am sure he liked it very much. Great idea that
    plane with the number. 18!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is lovely! I love the image and the clouds look real! I'm sure your son will adore this it's fab
    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this card! I am definitely going to have to try this technique out with the numbers. Super awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. They are always so welcome and appreciate :-)